In addition to providing individual nutrition counseling, meal plans, and workout plans, NOVA Sports Nutrition also offers group seminars and consulting services specifically addressing wellness issues in the legal profession.
Why Lawyer Wellness?
Legal professionals outpace the general population in rates of suicide, depression, alcoholism, substance abuse, and chronic stress. Evidence suggests that this is not a coincidence, but rather the result of the unique combination of occupational hazards that lawyers face throughout their careers. For example, attorneys are frequently expected or required to:
- work long hours in a sedentary environment;
- put clients’ needs ahead of their own;
- work under tense, adversarial conditions;
- be constantly available to clients and supervisors;
- meet externally imposed deadlines, including those set by courts, judges, clients, opposing counsel, procedural rules, or supervisors;
- compete with co-workers for recognition and advancement in the workplace;
- uphold the duty of attorney-client confidentiality and maintain high ethical standards, even under stressful circumstances; and
- work for many decades without the promise of early retirement with a pension, as in some other high-stress occupations.
Many of these work-related stressors can cause significant deficiencies in a lawyer’s wellness profile. From sleep deprivation, depression, and alcoholism to chronic health issues like diabetes and obesity, the occupational hazards of the practice of law can wear on legal professionals mentally, physically, and emotionally.
As the legal profession and its various regulatory bodies turn more and more attention to these important issues, NOVA Sports Nutrition has emerged as a leading authority on lawyer wellness, providing seminars and consulting services to legal professionals in a variety of settings, including for Virginia CLE, the leading provider of continuing legal education in the Virginia legal community.
With a team that includes a registered dietitian, an attorney, a behavioral health educator, and the former executive chef of one of the world’s largest law firms, NOVA Sports Nutrition is uniquely positioned to serve as a vital resource to busy legal professionals throughout Virginia and beyond.
NOVA Sports Nutrition is available to provide group nutrition and fitness presentations, consultation with law firm or corporate leadership regarding employee wellness initiatives, and on-site individual nutrition counseling. Please contact us for availability and rates.